Sound Devices MixPre-3 II
- Field Recording, Filmmaking & Podcasting
- 32-Bit Recording / 32-Bit USB Streaming
- Record up to 192 kHz, Stream to 96 kHz
- 3 x High-Gain, Low-Noise Mic Preamps
- Records 3 Inputs & Stereo Mix
- Internal Timecode Generator
- Adjustable Analog Limiters
- Polarity, Low-Cut & Pan Controls
- AC, USB Bus & Battery Powering Options
- SD Card with Auto-Copy to USB Drives
For independent filmmakers, field recordists, and podcasters who need pristine audio capture of up to three microphones, the Sound Devices MixPre-3 II multitrack field recorder is an ideal tool. Record up to three tracks of external sources plus a stereo mix at up to 32-bit / 192 kHz while monitoring your audio headphones. If you choose to use the MixPre-6 II as your studio interface, you'll be able to achieve sample rates up to 96 kHz
The MixPre-3 II offers many upgrades over its predecessor. Chief among these features is the ability to record at 32-bit floating point to an internal SD card. The unit also functions as an audio interface capable of 32-bit floating point streaming over USB to a Mac computer. This makes it nearly impossible for you to clip (distort) audio on the way in. Whether you're recording hot or making use of the unit's astounding 142 dB dynamic range, you'll only be handicapped by the quality of your microphone.
Other improvements include the ability to auto-copy recorded tracks to USB thumb drives, making file transfers a breeze. Lovers of sync will revel in a handy new feature: a full-fledged, built-in timecode generator, accurate to better than 0.2 ppm (0.5 frames in 24 hours). Even when powered off, the MixPre-3 II maintains accurate timecode for up to four hours.
All of this is available in a three-channel package that can be powered from wall chargers, computers, AA batteries, or Sony L-series batteries. Whether you use the device in an advanced or basic capacity, the MixPre-3 II will suit any intimate, field-based production.
- Kashmir Preamps
Like the original unit, the MixPre-3 II offers class-A Kashmir mic preamps. All inputs are fully RF-filtered to keep interference out.
- On-Board Mixing
Create a mix using the built-in 3x2 portable mixer.
- Audio Interface Functionality
When connected to a Mac or Windows computer, the MixPre-3 II can serve as a 5-input / 2-output USB audio interface for your favorite audio recording software. The unit will record three tracks in isolation and provide a stereo mix of all three to boot. You can stream audio at sample rates up to 96 kHz.
The unit can send a complete 32-bit float audio signal over USB when connected to a Mac computer running macOS Catalina (version 10.15 or later).
- USB Audio Input
Stream up to two tracks into the unit over USB, using the MixPre-3 II as a recorder from your host device. If you're a musician, you can utilize this feature to record a stereo mix from your host DAW as a backing track for further standalone recording.
For inputs, you'll find three XLR jacks. Headphone output connections are handled over a 3.5mm jack, and stereo line outputs can be secured over a dedicated stereo 3.5mm jack. Timecode I/O is made possible via 3.5mm connections, though you also have the option of HDMI for inputting timecode.
- Adjust on the Fly
Adjust the limiters, change the bit depth, shift panning and polarity in the stereo mix, and filter out extraneous bass rumble with low-cut filters. Whether you record to an SD card or to your computer over USB, the MixPre-3 II can be customized to your needs.
- Built-In Timecode Generator & Bluetooth Control
Thanks to the device's timecode generator, you can even trigger recording from the camera. With built-in Bluetooth, you can control the unit over the Wingman app, available from Sound Devices. This app displays high-resolution meters, current timecode, transport buttons, and more.
- Transport and Mounting Options
The MixPre-3 II is rugged, lightweight, and relatively compact, so you can throw it in a bag or mount it to a tripod or camera.
- Key Features at a Glance
- Kashmir microphone preamps with 48V phantom power
- Internal timecode generator
- Sample rates up to 192 kHz
- Bit depths up to 32-bit float
- Adjustable limiters
- SD card recording and reading
- Backup to USB drive
- 10 seconds of pre-roll at 48 kHz
- USB control surface support
- Customize with plugins
- Add low cut, high pass, delay, polarity invert, and panning
- Simultaneous recording, mixing, and USB audio streaming
- Trigger record via timecode or HDMI timecode
- Bluetooth for wireless control via Wingman app
- Basic, advanced, and custom modes
- High-fidelity headphone amplifier